Friday, January 6, 2017

#Gratitude2016

#Gratitude2016

I know, I know. I mean it. I. Really. Know.

#IRK. #IReallyKnow.

Who in their right mind is putting gratitude and 2016 together? My Facebook and Twitter feeds portend the end of days. And I get it. I've been an active part of that.

#DontBlameYouForUnfriendingMe.

Yes, there's the DJT "thing" (it had to be said). No matter what your politics, it's a thing. Women's rights are being threatened. Civil liberties are under attack. Racism is rearing it's ugly head like that huge cockroach that came crawling out from under the washing machine in the building of my basement and just refused to die.

#WTF?

I saw a twitter post the other day that summed up the 2016 death march:


"It is becoming increasingly obvious that David Bowie has established a better alternate universe and is populating it selectively one-by-one." (Thank you, @mstexas1967)

Ground Control to Major Tom - what the f*ck is going on?

#PlanetEarthIsBlue.
#IsThereNothingICanDo?.

So who in their right mind is putting gratitude and 2016 together?

#Gratitude2016ForReal?

Well, it's 4:47am on December 31st and I'm awake thinking about #Putin and #TheMiddleEast and #ObamaCare and #EverythingElseThatSucks but I'm still putting gratitude and 2016 together (maybe it's more like back together?) because if I don't do #Gratitude2016 I might never get out of bed tomorrow.

#DontSayByeFelicia.

And, if I don't get out of bed tomorrow, then what is to become of the 11 year-old boy (my son #MomDontEmbarassMe) who asks me every day if he'll be here alone to see the earth melt or blow up from nukes or bombs or terrorists or both or some or all of it.

#MommyImScared.

I can't bear the thought of what it's like to be in my kid's head because I'm an adult in my own head who is just as terrified.

#MommyIsScaredToo.

But I'm determined to show him hope. I remain committed to reminding him that life passes by too quickly for us to be paralyzed by fear. I will reassure him, as I've done for him after nightmares past, that the darkest hours are always followed by light.

#TheSunWillComeOutTomorrow.

So I'm digging deep for #Gratitude2016. I'm reading (and re-reading) the battle-scar tattoo on my arm that says, "Where there is love, there is life."

#GhandiWasRight.

And, though I'm floating in a most peculiar way into 2017, staring at stars that look very different today, I'm choosing to use those stars, along with love and hope, to tether me to this earth, to this life, to those things that are forever worthy of my gratitude.

#EvenIn2016.








No comments:

Post a Comment